Nutrinews
RunningNews.gr Forum
RunningNews.gr Forum
Αρχική | Προφίλ | Εγγραφή | Ενεργά Θέματα | Μέλη | Αναζήτηση | FAQ
 Όλα τα Forums
 Everything about Running - English Section
 News - Races – Trainings – Questions
 Marathon to Athens

Σημείωση: Πρέπει να είστε εγγεγραμένος για να δημοσιεύσετε.
Για να εγγραφείτε, κάντε κλικ εδώ. Η εγγραφή είναι ΔΩΡΕΑΝ!

Screensize:
Όνομα Χρήστη:
Κωδικός:
Κατάσταση μορφοποίησης:
Μορφοποίηση: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

Μήνυμα:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code είναι ενεργοποιημένος
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

ΠΡΟΕΠΙΣΚΟΠΗΣΗnbsp; ΘΕΜΑΤΟΣ
triboulder Δημοσιευτηκε - 15/08/2012 : 15:54:55
I am from Taiwan and will visit Greece next month. I plan to run from Marathon to Athens (or vise versa) by myself. I might stay in Marathon overnight, run to Athens and then take bus back to Marathon. I prefer to stay a hotel near the starting point of the classical marathon. But I only found hotels near the coast. I believe many people have run the same course. Any suggestions? Is public transportation between the two places convenient?
12   ΤΕΛΕΥΤΑΙΕΣ    ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΕΙΣ    (Πρώτα η πιο πρόσφατη)
Rory Posted - 18/08/2012 : 12:57:47
Hi triboulder. Congrats on your decision.
I would say you should start with the first daylight because the route isn't in the city(a lot of country running) and everything else will come naturally.
Of course you shouldn't expect to do a fast marathon due to the reasons mentioned before (uphill running, traffic, no stops etc) but you'll be happy to complete the route where it all begun.

Welcome to Greece :)

-------------------------
Επιτρέπεται να πέσεις...επιβάλλεται να σηκωθείς!
dpkouk Posted - 17/08/2012 : 21:43:58
good luck my friend

http://marathon.yooblog.gr/

Όλα είναι σχετικά, άρα κι ανεκτά...
triboulder Posted - 17/08/2012 : 15:22:02
I will arrive Athens on Sep. 16 (Sunday) and leave on Sep. 18 (Tuesday). Therefore, the only date available for a long distance run is on Monday. I guess it is inconvenient for most people to run on a weekday. I appreciate anyone willing to run with me. But I have to confess that I am a slow runner. I might not be able to keep pace with you. I have attended five times marathon races with a record just a little less than five hours. I enjoy running (and other sports) even though I do not run fast. On Sep 17, if you see an oriental man running on your way to work, whether on a busy street or on a beautiful coast, that's probably me. Please say `go go go! allez allez allez! '.
giorgosdelta Posted - 16/08/2012 : 15:03:16
Hi to everyone. I believe the best time to start a 42,2km run is at 5:30 on Sunday morning. Since you have the chance you should try the original historical course from Marathon to Athens. If you inform the forum about the exact time of your run, you should find company too!
I hope you have a nice trip!
tamilthi Posted - 16/08/2012 : 12:50:16
Hi triboulder,

You can inform the forum of the exact date you are planning to come in Athens. Perhaps there will be one or more runners interested to run with you starting in early the morning. Who knows? Best day is Sunday.

You'll never ...run alone
triboulder Posted - 16/08/2012 : 12:46:49
Thanks again for the suggestions. It seems that running along the beach to Cape Sounio is also a good idea. Any suggestions where can I start running? maybe some village where bus stops? With a triathlon suite, I can still have fun on swimming after running. Night run and swim may be not suitable for me, since I need to go back to hotel (probably in Athens). Final decision on my running path (`Athens to Marathon' or `somewhere to Cape Sounio') will be made upon arrival Athens. I will prepare well for the running, such as enough energy gels and a big hydration pack.

I am a regular runner (but not in a good condition due to an ankle disorder).
I believe I will have fun in Greece. Marathon races are popular in Taiwan in recent years. One of the best courses is in Taroko gorge, where one gains about 400m in the race with magnificent views. I wish you can come to Taiwan someday to enjoy it.
joker is job Posted - 15/08/2012 : 18:59:10
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you have a good time!!
In any case, we will be happy in this forum to hear your
impressions from your trip to Greece..
Spartiatis Posted - 15/08/2012 : 18:07:32
Triboulder congrats for your decision, have you running regularly ? The classic ,original distance is difficult with a lot of uphill running, I believe the problem will not be the cars, such as with the economic crisis there are not a lot out in the streets but the support , water stations, isotonic drinks...etc, if you can solve this issue with waistband supplies or something similar give it a try....as Socrates said it is better to regret for something you did than rather for something you didn t!

ΟΤΙ ΔΕ ΛΥΝΕΤΑΙ....ΚΟΒΕΤΑΙ..
ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ
diramira Posted - 15/08/2012 : 17:49:17
In my opinion, you should run the classic route on a formal occasion, when you will definitely enjoy it! You are right, even if you start your run at 04:00, there is still traffic. Also, what is the point of running if you have to be focused and alert and ready to dive in the bushes

But, if you want to get a feeling of ancient Greece and do your running workout at the same time, perhaps you could run along the beach to Cape Sounio? Just a suggestion that comes in mind. A beautiful night run, a stop at Sounio and then a night swim. Just perfect :-)
triboulder Posted - 15/08/2012 : 17:28:26
Thanks for the prompt replies. I will stay in Athens only for two nights in this trip. Maybe next time I can visit the city in the right time of 'Athens classic marathon'. How about running from Athens to Marathon? Due to jet lag, I will certainly wake up early. I can start running, say, at 4:00 in the morning. There will be less traffic. But maybe drivers would drive fast in early morning, so it becomes more dangerous. If it is the case, I would give up the idea of running in this trip and try to attend an official game next time.
dpkouk Posted - 15/08/2012 : 17:06:41
dear friend,

i understand your need to do the marathon race by yourself.but as diramira said it is very dangerous since you have to run in a very busy avenue with heavy traffic.so i would suggest you run the race on the 11/11/2012 for your own safety...enjoy your stay and running sessions..

http://marathon.yooblog.gr/

Όλα είναι σχετικά, άρα κι ανεκτά...
diramira Posted - 15/08/2012 : 16:37:38
Hi Triboulder! Welcome to Greece! I admire you for being so brave

Sounds like a cool idea, but I am afraid the infrastructure for running by yourself is less than ideal: There is traffic, and the pedestrian sideway does not go safely all the way to Athens. In other words, I personally think it is dangerous. That said, I have read that many people do their long runs or race simulations there! Perhaps you could find someone from this community to run together? Hopefully someone will write back!

Also, if your schedule allows, perhaps you could plan to run the Athens Classic Marathon?
http://athensclassicmarathon.gr/marathon/fMain.aspx?lang=en-US

In any case, it is easy to go from Athens to Marathon by public transportation: There are buses every 30 minutes from downtown Athens Mavrommateon street, Pedion Areos) to Marathon. I think it takes about an hour to get there (so there is no need to spend the night there, I think).

RunningNews.gr Forum © RunningNews.gr Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000