Νέο Θέμα  Απάντηση στο θέμα
 Εκτυπώσιμη μορφή
Συγγραφέας Προηγούμενο Θέμα Θέμα Επόμενο Θέμα  

TheMassageGuy
Newbie Forum Runner

Greece

6 Δημοσιεύσεις

Δημοσιεύτηκε - 09/02/2011 :  16:13:10  Εμφάνιση Προφίλ  Απάντηση σε αποστρόφους
My Name is George Amygdalos. I am a Greek American from the island of Chios where i am now living. I am a New York state board certified and licensed massage therapist with a specialty in Sports massage. I am currently working with Xristophoros Merousis from Chios. If you have any questions as to how sports massage can help you, i will be answering questions in this forum.

SIM
Advanced Forum-Runner

421 Δημοσιεύσεις

Δημοσιεύθηκε - 09/02/2011 :  16:40:52  Εμφάνιση Προφίλ  Απάντηση σε αποστρόφους
Dear George, I would like to ask you the following question:What is your suggestion for the muscle pains before a marathon race and after marathon race?
Μετάβαση στην κορυφή της σελίδας

TheMassageGuy
Newbie Forum Runner

Greece

6 Δημοσιεύσεις

Δημοσιεύθηκε - 10/02/2011 :  19:32:52  Εμφάνιση Προφίλ  Απάντηση σε αποστρόφους
Dear SIM,

You should not be having pain before a marathon race. If you do have pain and it is caused by an injury, my suggestion is to not participate in a race until you are fully healed. If your pain is only due to muscle soreness from working out and practice runs, my suggestion is ice, stretching, and of course... sports massage. Deep tissue massage and medical massage can be given up to a week before the event. General relaxing massage and flushing can be given up until the 2 day before the marathon. Pre-event massage, passive and active stretching exercises including PNF stretching up until the day before and the day of the marathon.

To minimize pain after a marathon:
Do not stretch immediately following the race. Your muscle are exhausted and you may activate the stretch reflex leading to cramping or injury.
Any cramping should be dealt with and ice applied to sore areas.
Drink 1/2 a liter of water every 1-2 hours for the next 6-8 hours to rehydrate your body.
Eat something as soon as you can.
Gentle stretching (all muscles of the legs, hips and lower back) 1/2 hour after you finish the race.
Post-event massage work can be applied to help flush the lactic acid build up. Although getting a quick rubdown at the finish-line massage tent may have felt good, a massage 24-48 hours after the marathon works best when rehabilitation work can begin. Delayed muscle soreness after exercise is a feeling of stiffness and soreness that begins 8 or more hours after exercise and may last 3-4 days (sometimes a week).
Researchers propose several causes:

* Damage to the muscle tissue itself. May be due to depletion of energy reserves or actual * Degeneration of muscle fibers.
* Accumulation of fluid and breakdown products in the muscle.
* Muscle spasm.
* Over stretching or tears of the connective tissue.

The soreness may be a result of one or more of these causes depending on the individual and his or her method of running. The most likely causes after a marathon are depletion of energy reserves and the accumulation of fluid in the muscles.
Pain that has not subsided within two weeks need to be looked at by a doctor.

Therapeutic massage can be given 1-2 per week for injuries such as: grade 1 and 2 strains & sprains, tendonitis, shin splints, precipitant cramping.

I hope this was helpful.

SIM
Advanced Forum-Runner

421 Δημοσιεύσεις

Δημοσιεύθηκε - 11/02/2011 :  09:39:30  Εμφάνιση Προφίλ  Απάντηση σε αποστρόφους
Thank you very much for the information he gave us, your years of experience is obvious and goes through your answers.Itis not coincidence that working with Christophoros MEROUSIS.
George , we would like to take advantage of your knowledge to the issue with blisters on the feet and teats. What you suggest, medicine cream or special adhesive plasters; In case a blister, remove the liquid rather not; Thanks in advance!

TheMassageGuy
Newbie Forum Runner

Greece

6 Δημοσιεύσεις

Δημοσιεύθηκε - 11/02/2011 :  11:20:35  Εμφάνιση Προφίλ  Απάντηση σε αποστρόφους
If the blister isn't causing any pain, leave it alone. But if it's interfering with your running, you should feel free to "operate" as long as you're careful to avoid infection. Sterilize a razor blade or niddle (boil it for 10 minutes), wash the area of the blister (preferably using an antiseptic like alcohol or Betadine), and make a small slit in the blister. Press the fluid out. Carefully clean the area, again using an antiseptic. Let the blister dry, without putting on any ointment, and cover the blister with gauze.

To avoid blisters in the future, there are four things you might do. First, make sure that your shoes fit properly. They should be snug so that your foot does not rattle around inside, rubbing against the shoe and causing blisters. Make sure that you have laced your shoes tightly enough that they form to your foot. They should not, however, be too tight, particularly not too narrow or too short.

Second, some manufacturers sell "blister-proof" socks. Give these socks a try, and in general keep in mind that nylon socks tend to be more abrasive than cotton. Not everyone is happy with this solution, so dont count on them to much.

Third, lubricate your feet to cut down on the friction that causes blisters. Rubbing some vaseline on your feet before runs can do the trick, but if you find that too goopy, talcum powder is a good substitute. Also a new product is out that is similar to vaseline. Its called Un-Petroleum Jelly. Which is not petroleum based. Only problem is I am not sure if you can find that here in Greece.

Fourth, if you are aware of specific blister problem areas, try protecting those ahead of time. Moleskin may work, but it often doesn't stick very well to sweaty feet. Use the moleskin to make a "blister donut" to put over the blister. Do this by cutting a hole in a piece of moleskin that is bigger than the blister. Then put the moleskin on your skin with the "donut hole" over the blister. Cover the moleskin with a bandage. Compeed Blisters Medium both treats and prevents blisters, providing instant pain and pressure relief. Duct tape, believe it or not, is often very reliable and inexpensive. Put it on before your foot becomes moist, and it won't come off until you want it to.

If you have a blister that becomes infected, you need to see your doctor. He may want to prescribe you an antibiotic.

Safe and happy running.

TheMassageGuy
Newbie Forum Runner

Greece

6 Δημοσιεύσεις

Δημοσιεύθηκε - 12/02/2011 :  18:02:44  Εμφάνιση Προφίλ  Απάντηση σε αποστρόφους
In some other forums i was reading that some of you are having issues with your ITBs (

What It Is, What It Does, What Goes Wrong
The IT band begins in the hip as the tensor fascia latae muscle and has attachments at the origin from three different muscles: the gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, and vastus lateralis. The muscle becomes a fibrous band of tissue as it progresses down the thigh, then crosses the knee joint, and inserts along the lateral (outside) portion of the patella (knee cap) and into the tibia (shin) bone on a bump known as Gerdy’s Tubercle.
The classic symptoms of ITBS are pain along the lateral (outside) aspect of the knee joint, sometimes accompanied by a clicking sensation. The click is a result of the ITB tightening and snapping across the joint during running. The symptoms are often worse when running up or down hills.
ITBS is typically progressive, starting with tightness and often advancing to the point where the pain is debilitating. The traditional view on the cause of this injury has focused on the tightness of the structure and overtraining. There is no doubt that the ITB will become tighter when it is injured. The tightness, however, is more than likely a result of the injury and not the actual cause. The cause of this injury actually lies in the function of the ITB.
The main functions of the ITB are to assist the hip muscles in abduction (outward movement) of the thigh and to stabilize the lateral side of the knee. The ITB is not a strong structure, and if the surrounding muscles have any weakness that can lead to injury and ITB syndrome. Runners are notoriously weak in their hip and core muscles, particularly if strength training or participation in sports that involve side-to-side movement are lacking.

Treatment
Traditional treatment of ITBS has focused mainly on stretching. While stretching plays an important role in the treatment of this injury, there are several other forms of therapy that need to be incorporated.
Given current research, treatment for ITBS should be in phases. The first phase requires a proper diagnosis and the identification of any causative factors. Once this is established, the next phase is aimed at reducing the pain. Rest may have to play a part during this phase, which also may include physical therapy modalities, ice, and stretching three times a day. Cross training that does not aggravate the condition can be done to maintain fitness.
Deep tissue massage along the full length of the ITB can be started in this phase; it is a necessary step before moving on to the all-important third phase of strengthening the hip and thigh muscles. I recommend very frequent massage: up to every day for elites, and 2 or 3 times per week for recreational runners. If you cannot afford the expense or time of going to asports massage therapist, a foam roller can work very well for self massage.
The following is a link for foam roller self massage,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0&feature=fvst

I hope this is helpful for those who suffer from ITBS

Προηγούμενο Θέμα Θέμα Επόμενο Θέμα  
 Νέο Θέμα  Απάντηση στο θέμα
 Εκτυπώσιμη μορφή
Μετάβαση σε:
RunningNews.gr Forum © RunningNews.gr Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000